You have no items in your shopping cart.
If you struggle with mobility but want to maintain your independence and freedom, a support aid - such as a mobility walker - is essential. Mobility walkers can help improve your quality of life by providing support with balance and stability when walking, allowing you to navigate your environment confidently. No matter your age or condition, mobility walkers provide a valuable solution for anyone looking for increased comfort, safety, and independence. In this article, we'll explore why getting a mobility walker should be a top priority for anyone seeking to stay mobile and independent.
What Are Mobility Walkers?
Mobility walkers, also known as rollators or rolling walkers, provide support for those who need assistance with balance or stability when walking. These walkers typically have four large wheels and handles that enable you to easily navigate different types of terrain. Some mobility walkers also come with additional features like built-in seats, cup holders, and storage baskets - making them a great option for individuals wanting to stay active and independent no matter what age or condition they may be in.
Why Is Getting a Mobility Walker So Important?
There are many benefits associated with using a mobility walker. We've highlighted eight reasons why getting one is essential below:
- Increased independence and mobility
Mobility aids, such as Forearm Walkers, offer independence regardless of your age or physical condition. Whether you need help navigating rough terrain, maintaining balance, or getting around quicker, a mobility walker can provide the support you need while increasing your confidence and freedom moving about.
- Improved safety and stability
Mobility walkers provide added support when navigating different types of terrain, preventing falls and other accidents from occurring. This increased stability can make all the difference in daily activities like grocery shopping, running errands, and even when travelling long distances.
- Enhanced comfort and convenience
Most mobility walkers have additional features like built-in seats for resting, and folding baskets for storage, making them incredibly convenient and comfortable to use. These features can make life easier for individuals with mobility issues.
Typically lightweight and easy to transport, mobility walkers are designed to go wherever you go - whether you're travelling by car, bus, train, or plane. This provides greater flexibility to go where you want when you want. The Redgum Side Folding Walker is an excellent example of a portable walker that can easily be folded and transported anywhere.
- Affordable price point
Compared to other mobility devices like wheelchairs or scooters, mobility walkers offer a more affordable option for individuals who need support while walking. This makes them a superior choice for anyone on a budget dealing with limited mobility issues. Looking for something cost-effective? The Redgum Tri Walker is budget-friendly without sacrificing quality.
- Widely accessible
Mobility walkers are readily available in stores and online, making them easy to find. There are also a ton of models that suit different needs and budgets. Whether you're shopping at your local retail store or browsing online, you have options to choose from.
Mobility walkers offer much more versatility than other types of mobility devices. They can: easily be folded up and transported, hold large items thanks to their storage baskets, and even function as an extra seat.
- Various other benefits and features
In addition to the above benefits, there are many other reasons why getting a mobility walker is advantageous - including improved posture and gait while walking, decreased muscle strain when going up and down stairs, reduced risk of falling or injury, greater overall health due to increased activity levels and more.
If you struggle with mobility and aim to maintain an active and self-sufficient lifestyle (regardless of age or physical condition), purchasing a mobility walker is a worthwhile investment.
How Can You Get a Mobility Walker?
This process is typically straightforward. The first step is to speak with your primary care physician or another healthcare professional. They will be able to assess your specific needs and recommend the best course of treatment based on factors like your age, health, activity level, and more. Once you've spoken with them about the different options available, they can help set you up with a suitable mobility walker to use as soon as possible. You can buy a mobility walker online from several reputable retailers in Australia.
What Features Should You Look For in Mobility Walkers?
Here are seven qualities to look for in a good mobility walker:
- Height-adjustable handles: This important feature allows the user to adjust the walker's height based on their individual needs and comfort level.
- Swivel front wheels: The front wheels on a quality mobility walker are designed to swivel, making it easier to turn and maneuver in different directions.
- Anti-slip handgrips: This feature ensures safety and stability, preventing accidental falls or slips while using the device.
- Lightweight construction and easy portability: A superior mobility walker should be lightweight and easy to transport, with a foldable design and carrying handles to make it simple and convenient to move around.
- Rubber feet pads: These important features help provide traction and prevent the walker from slipping or moving around while in use.
- Easy assembly and setup: A good mobility walker should be easy to assemble and set up without requiring complicated tools or processes.
- Other features such as storage baskets, brakes, rear support bars, and more may also be necessary, depending on your individual needs and preferences. When shopping for a mobility walker, consider all these different features to find the best one for you.
How to Properly Use and Care For Your New Mobility Walker
Following appropriate safety and hygiene protocols when using a new mobility walker is crucial to ensure your safety and well-being. These tips will guide you in the proper handling, maintenance, and utilisation of your mobility aid:
- Always double-check that the brakes on your mobility walker are engaged before using it.
- When moving your mobility walker from one place to another, lift with your legs, not your back or arms. This helps reduce the strain on your muscles and prevents injuries and discomfort.
- Wash your hands often, especially if you have open wounds or cuts. This ensures the walker is sanitary to use and reduces the risk of infection and other health issues.
- Avoid leaving a mobility walker in extreme heat or cold conditions for extended periods, as this can cause damage to the device and may impact its functionality over time.
- Regularly check all parts of your mobility walker for signs of wear or damage, such as broken wheels and loose joints, and replace any faulty components immediately to avoid potential safety hazards or issues with your walker's performance.
- When possible, ask a partner or loved one to assist you with your mobility walker as needed, especially when moving up and down stairs, curbs, or other uneven surfaces where you may be more prone to tipping or sliding.
Additional Tips and Advice for Those New to Mobility Walkers
- Take your time learning how to use and manoeuvre your new mobility walker properly. This not only reduces the risk of accidents and falls but can also help you better get used to the feel and functionality of the device.
- Prioritise safety at all times, especially in crowded or high-traffic areas. Avoid collisions with other people or objects.
- Experiment with different features and settings on your new mobility walker to determine what works best for your individual needs and preferences.
- Work with your doctor, physical therapist, or other healthcare professionals to determine the right size and weight of your new mobility walker. This improves your comfort and ensures your walker is appropriately sized for your body shape and stature.
- Always wear proper protective gear when using a new mobility walker, such as knee pads or elbow padding, to reduce the risk of injuries or pain due to bumps and falls.
- Follow all care and maintenance instructions for your new mobility walker in order to keep it in good condition. Doing so improves the performance of your device and extends its life, saving you money in the long run.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your new mobility walker, discuss them with your doctor or healthcare provider.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are six common questions many people have when they first start using a mobility walker:
One key tip for learning to remember when using a mobility walker for the first time is just to take it slow. Get comfortable using the device to avoid potential accidents or injuries, and you'll get the hang of it.
Yes, it is important to prioritise safety at all times when using a mobility walker, especially in high-traffic areas where there may be more obstacles or hazards present. Knowing your surroundings reduces the risk of collisions with other people or objects.
Some users find that adjusting the handle's height, changing the wheel type and size, or trying out different storage options can be helpful when using a new mobility walker. It's worth taking some time to explore and play around with the various features of your walker before using it in real-time.
One good way to determine if a particular device is a good fit for your body type and size is to speak with your doctor, physical therapist, or other healthcare professionals. They will be able to give you the right recommendations and guidelines.
You don't need to wear any, but we recommend starting out wearing protective knee pads and elbow padding in the beginning, in case of accidents.
Maximising the Benefits of Your Mobility Walker: Safety Tips and Expert Guidance from Daily Living Products
A new mobility walker can be a valuable aid for enhancing independence and safety, and promoting better health. However, to maximise the benefits of your new device, it's crucial to follow proper safety and usage tips, including: taking your time to learn how to use the walker, using protective gear, experimenting with different settings, and consulting with your healthcare providers for guidance. With the right measures in place, you can experience greater freedom, mobility, and well-being with your mobility walker. Daily Living Products offer a wide selection of walkers to choose from, and if you're uncertain about which one to pick, their online experts are available to provide helpful guidance and address any questions or concerns you may have.